Thursday, September 1, 2011 - 10:39am
City of Madison Fire Investigators say a fire this morning at 2321 Carling Dr. was likely the result of careless cooking. Investigators are still trying to determine exactly how the fire started, but they do believe the kitchen was the room of origin.
Firefighters responded to the fire in a multi-unit residential building this morning at 8:26.
When firefighters responded, there was no smoke or fire visible from the street. As they opened the door to a unit at the rear of the building, they found that apartment filled with smoke and heat.
Crews found that the fire had virtually burned itself out. They checked the building for fire extension and did a primary and secondary search for occupants. The fire was fully extinguished by 8:38 a.m.
All residents of the 7-unit building were unharmed and accounted for. The apartment where the fire originated has significant smoke and heat damage, but all other units were habitable.
The single displaced occupant is being assisted by the American Red Cross - Badger Chapter.
Damage from the fire is estimated at $50,000.
Careless cooking is the leading cause of home fires. Please follow these guidelines for safety in the kitchen:
• Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don't use the stove or stovetop.
• Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
• If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
• Keep anything that can catch fire - oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.
If you have a cooking fire
• Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
• Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
• If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
• Keep a lid nearby when you're cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
• For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- Lori Wirth, (608) 266-5947