Kitchen Fire Causes $75,000 in Damage, 1 Person Transported to St. Mary's Hospital

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 8:12am

City of Madison Firefighters transported one person to St. Mary's Hospital for non-life threatening injuries from a house fire at 1708 Fisher Street.
The lone occupant safely escaped from the home, but the kitchen fire caused $75,000 in damage. First floor suffered smoke and fire damage. A door to the second floor was closed, so the smoke damage was minimal.
The call to 911 was received at 10:52 am and was extinguished by firefighters at 11:07 am.
The resident has insurance.
* * *

National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) and the City of Madison Fire Department remind residents of the following safety message:

Cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Two-thirds (66%) of home cooking fire started with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.
Facts & figures
• Cooking equipment fires are the leading cause of home structure fires and associated civilian injuries. These fires accounted for 40% of all reported home structure fires and 36% of home civilian injuries.
• Cooking equipment was involved in two of every five (41%) reported home fires.
• Unattended cooking was by far the leading contributing factor in these fires.
• Clothing was the item first ignited in less than 1% of these fires, but these incidents accounted 15% of the cooking fire deaths.
• Ranges accounted for the largest share (59%) of home cooking fire incidents. Ovens accounted for 16%.
• Three of every five (59%) reported non-fatal home cooking fire injuries occurred when the victims tried to fight the fire themselves.
• Frying poses the greatest risk of fire.
• Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires.

  • Bernadette Galvez, 608-261-9844