Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 9:01am
The cause of last night's fire in the 6900 block of Old Sauk Court remains under investigation. City of Madison Fire Investigators hope to pinpoint a definitive cause and origin of the fire sometime next week.
The fire destroyed two 2-story condominiums, and damaged two more, displacing more than a dozen residents and at least five pets.
A 73-year-old woman who lived in the unit where the fire is believed to have started was rescued from a second-story balcony by off-duty firefighters. Three of them are City of Madison firefighters.
The City of Madison Fire Department reminds residents, in the event of a fire:
• Resist the temptation to attempt to fight the fire yourself.
• Evacuate the building immediately through your nearest exit.
• In multi-family structures, sound an alarm as you leave.
• Once out safely, call 911 to report the emergency.
- Lori Wirth, (608) 266-5947