No Injuries at Orbitect Fire
Monday, April 6, 2009 - 9:51am
A small fire caused approximately $10,000 damage this morning at Orbital Technologies Corporation (Orbitec) located at 1212 Fourier Drive on Madison's west side. The fire was confined to a small room and damaged some equipment. Nobody was injured.
The fire began when some mineral oil started to burn and then spread to nearby equipment. The fire department was summoned to the scene at 9:59 AM and arrived within eight minutes. Firefighters found a small fire burning and used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames. Fans were then used to remove smoke from the building.
Every home and business should observe these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home and in each sleeping area. Interconnected smoke alarms will make sure the alarm is heard throughout the home.
• Businesses should have a complete fire alarm system.
• Fire sprinklers are recommended for homes and businesses alike.
• Test your smoke alarms and fire alarm systems every month.
• Have an escape plan at home and at work.
• Practice the escape plan by conducting a fire drill at least twice a year.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
- Eric Dahl, 608-279-7148