Olbrich Park Master Plan Public Meeting
Monday, August 25, 2008 - 6:25am
Tuesday, August 26, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Evjue Commons - Olbrich Botanical Gardens
3330 Atwood Avenue
The City of Madison Parks Division invites the public to attend a meeting regarding the Olbrich Park Master Plan. This planning process will look at all of Olbrich Park and contiguous land such as Starkweather Creek and O. B. Sherry Park. The plan will include the undeveloped Garver area, Botanical Gardens, athletic fields, boat launches, beach, parking areas and other open space. The planning process will consider whether some of the existing and proposed park uses should be expanded or reduced. The Parks Division encourages participants in all park activities to come and voice their interest in the future development, redevelopment, and restoration of different areas of the park.
The first public meeting was held on July 24. The ideas with major public support from that meeting were:
• to support the expansion of the botanical gardens
• to relocate the lighted softball fields and expand gardens to that location
• to expand natural landscapes and natural shorelines, especially north of the Garver Building to Fair Oaks Avenue
• to reduce parking and parking expansion
• to remove the Creek boat launch north of Atwood and consolidate boat launches south of Atwood along the lake
• to improve bike and pedestrian trail connections throughout the park for park users and neighborhood access
• to begin a process for siting a dog park somewhere on the east isthmus, but not necessarily at Olbrich.
The meeting on August 26 will focus on plan alternatives that address these and other issues. After discussion at this meeting, it is anticipated that a revised plan will be submitted to the Park Commission for public comments and action.
Results and written public comments are available on the Madison Parks website.
Questions or comments may be sent to Simon Widstrand, Parks Development Manager, 266-4714 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Si Widstrand, 608-266-4714