One Person Injured in Apartment Fire

Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 8:02pm

One person received non-life-threatening injuries at an apartment fire late last night. Madison Fire Department paramedics transported the occupant to St. Mary's Hospital for treatment of his injuries. No other injuries were reported.

The City of Madison Fire Department was called to the fire at 11:28 PM and arrived three minutes later. The fire caused approximately $5,000 damage to the third floor apartment at 556 State Street.

The person living in the fire apartment was cooking and fell asleep. He discovered the fire when he woke up. He and other residents of the building attempted to put out the fire with fire extinguishers. Due to the size of the fire, they were unsuccessful.

Firefighters extinguished the fire with a hoseline and checked inside the walls for any fire extension. Fire damage was concentrated in the kitchen and smoke damage was present throughout the entire apartment.

Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Always keep these tips in mind when cooking:

• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
• Keep anything that can catch fire - potholders, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home and in each sleeping area. Interconnected smoke alarms are recommended and will make sure the alarm is heard throughout the home.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Have a home escape plan and practice it twice a year.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.


  • Eric Dahl608-279-7148