Raymond Road Fire Caused by Combustible Material Too Close to Stove

Tue, 04/26/2011 - 5:58am

Combustible material too close to the stove at 5301 Raymond Road ignited the fire on Saturday, April 23rd around 4:45 pm.
Firefighters extinguished the fire within 15 minutes, but the fire caused $35,000 in damage.
Two occupants and a small dog were in the home at the time of the fire, and evacuated before firefighters arrived and were evaluated, but not transported.
* * *
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) offers the following safety tips.
• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
• If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you're cooking.
• To prevent cooking fires, you have to be alert. You won't be if you are sleepy, have been drinking alcohol, or have taken medicine that makes you drowsy.
• Keep anything that can catch fire - potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, boxes, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.
• Keep the stovetop, burners and oven clean.
• Keep pets off cooking surfaces and nearby countertops to prevent them from knocking things onto the burner.
• Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and can catch fire if it comes in contact with a gas flame or electric burner.

Contacts: 
  • Bernadette Galvez, 608-261-9844