Recycling for Children’s Playgrounds
Tue, 12/13/2005 - 10:25am
Sugar Island Playground is sponsoring a recycling program to fund park playground equipment in Madison’s parks. Sugar Island Playground has partnered with several retail businesses in Madison to collect old cell phones and empty ink cartridges.
The Recycling for Children’s Playgrounds Program not only keeps cell phones and ink cartridges out of the landfills, but provides recycled plastic playground equipment for the children of Madison. According the Funding Factory, in 2005 alone, over 360 million empty cartridges and more than 30 million used cell phones were discarded, going into our landfills. One-half gallon of oil is conserved for every laser cartridge that is recycled. United States consumes nearly 725 million gallons of oil per DAY.
How can you help? Bring your used cell phones and empty inkjet and laser ink cartridges to any of the following retailers:
· Sugar Island, 4401 Femrite Drive, Madison
· AMS - 5380 Kings James Way, Madison
· AMS - 4820 Larson Beach Road, McFarland
· AMS - 1795 Sunfield Street, Sun Prairie
· AMS - 419 W. Cottage Grove Road, Cottage Grove
· McTaggarts Food Mart - 230 East Lakelawn, Madison
· Jamerican Restaurant - 1236 Williamson Street, Madison
· Shell Park Street Mini Mart - 950 S. Park Street
· Prepaid Wireless - West Towne Mall, 2201 S. Park Street, Madison
· Einstein Personal Communication - 3868 East Washington, Madison
· Worldwide Wireless - 1728 Thierer Road, Madison
· Simple Communications - East Washington, East Towne Mall
· Klinke Cleaners- East Towne, Monona, Sherman, Westgate Mall, University Ave., Highland Gates, Old Sauk Road, Capital, Monroe Street, Campus, Park Street, Middleton, Sun Prairie, Fitchburg, Stoughton
Sugar Island Playground collects and ships the old cell phones and laser ink cartridges to the recycling center, which in turn, provides money to purchase recycled plastic playground equipment to be installed in a Madison park.
It’s that easy! The holidays are a time when new cell phones are given as gifts. Put your old cell phone to good use. Donate it the Recycling for Children’s Playgrounds Program and help Madison’s parks.
- Laura Whitmore, Parks Community Relations Coord., 608-266-5949