Resident Extinguishes Kitchen Fire
Tuesday, March 4, 2014 - 1:40am
A kitchen fire caused approximately $5,000 damage to an east side duplex early Tuesday morning. The resident of 1303 South Thompson Drive was cooking when a pan of oil caught fire on the stove top. While the other occupants of the duplex were evacuating, he used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.
City of Madison firefighters were dispatched at 12:19 a.m. Engine 5 arrived on scene within eight minutes with some smoke showing from the building, but no flames. Everyone was safely out of the building.
Firefighters checked to make sure the fire was extinguished and ventilated smoke from the home. No injuries were reported at the scene.
Please remember that smoke alarms save lives. Almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms. When there is a fire, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out.
Make sure your home is safe for you and your family by following these safety tips:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom.
- Test your smoke alarms every month.
- Make an escape plan and have a fire drill to practice your plan.
- When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
- After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
- Never go back inside the building for any reason.
- Eric Dahl, 608-261-9845, firstname.lastname@example.org