Resident Satisfaction with City Services Increases
Tue, 01/11/2011 - 3:56am
City Releases Results of Third Annual Citizen Satisfaction Survey
Resident satisfaction with city services and quality of life is up again this year, according to the city's annual resident satisfaction survey. Respondents rated overall quality of life at 94% and overall quality of services at 91%, both up from the past two surveys.
"This survey has been an important tool to help us continually improve city services, and I'm glad that satisfaction is up again this year," Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said. "Both the high response rate and high rate of satisfaction is encouraging."
Administered by the UW Survey Center, the survey was sent to 1,000 households in September and October of 2010. About 41% of surveys were returned - much higher than a typical response rate. Respondents rated 16 city services. Survey results will be used to guide resource allocations and seek service improvements
Survey respondents rated the city in four categories:
overall quality of life, satisfaction with 16 city services, importance of the same 16 city services and overall service quality.
Some highlights of results include:
• 94% rated overall quality of life good or better, up from 2009.
• 91% rated overall city services good or better, which is slightly higher than 2009.
• The highest ranking city service continues to be garbage collection with 74% at "very satisfied" or better.
• Police services saw the greatest two-year increase in satisfaction, gaining nine percentage points from 2008 to 2009 and seven percentage points from 2009 to 2010.
Results will be further detailed by department, so each agency can use the results to improve service delivery. The City will deploy the survey again in 2011 to continue tracking Madison residents' satisfaction with city services and quality of life.
A full summary of 2010 survey results with comparisons to 2009 is available at http://www.cityofmadison.com/mayor/documents/2010QualSvcSurveySumm.pdf.
- Rachel Strauch-Nelson, 608-266-4611