Friday, June 1, 2012 - 8:43am
Ride the Drive-Downtown- Sunday, June 3, 10a.m. - 3p.m.
Don't miss the City of Madison & Madison Parks Ride the Drive-Downtown presented by Trek Ride the Drive this Sunday, June 3, 10a.m. - 3p.m.
Ride the Drive is a community event that transforms some of Madison's streets into a public promenade. During the event, roads in the five mile route are open for participants to bike, skate or walk through some of Madison's signature streets. The event is free and open to the public. Along the route, there will be activities, informational booths, musicians, food vendors and a drawing for prizes.
Trek Stores of Madison offering free B-cycle access for Ride the Drive
The Madison B-cycle bike sharing program is celebrating one year of operation by offering free 24-hour memberships the day of Madison's Ride the Drive event, Sunday June 3rd. Thanks to the program's title sponsor, Trek Bicycle Stores of Madison, users who take advantage of the free ride offer will only have to cover usage fees for trips lasting longer than half an hour. To take advantage of the free 24-hour pass, users simply need to register at any B-cycle station or online at madison.bcycle.com starting on the 3rd.
Ride the Drive is a festival on wheels! Along the route, there will be activities, informational booths, musicians, food vendors and prize drawing.
• Family Drive (Brittingham Park) features kids games & activities, food and fun.
• Madison Parks Village (Capitol Square) features food, vendor booths, and music
o 10:00a.m. - Charity Lap Kick-off. WMMM 105.5FM will kick off Ride the Drive with the "charity lap". If you are riding in a charity ride this summer, join us for a casual lap around the ride the drive courseit's the world's easiest training ride! Wear your ride jersey or shirt & create a sea of jerseys and shirts from the Trek100, Best Dam Bike Tour, Tour de Cure, Scenic Shore 150, etc. The charity lap rolls from the capitol square at East Washington Ave at 10am.
o Noon - official welcome by Madison Parks and Trek representatives.
Live music on the Schwinn Music Stage presented by 105.5 TripleM
o 10-10:45a.m. - Sexy Ester
o 11-11:45a.m. - Keefe Klug
o 12-12:45p.m. - Mark Harrod
o 1-1:45p.m. - Willow Lane
• Parade Drive (John Nolen Drive/Lakeside Street) features disc golf, bouncey house, bicycle demos, games and vendor booths.
• Bike Avenue & Tunes in the Tunnel (John Nolen Drive and Wilson/under Monona Terrace) features free bike demos, a climbing wall, and Tunes in the Tunnel with music by More Cowbell.
For a full listing of events, vendors and locations, please visit the activities page on Ride the Drive website.
Route Detours & Road Closures
Although the event begins at 10am, the following roads will be closed at 8:30am on June 3 to set up. All pedestrian traffic and activities will be cleared from the roads starting at 3pm so that the streets may be promptly reopened for automobile traffic. Major streets included in the road closures are:
• John Nolen Dr from Lakeside St to Wilson St
• Blair St from E. Wilson St to E. Washington Ave
• Outbound E. Washington from Pinckney to Blair St.
• Pinckney from E. Doty to E. Mifflin St
• Mifflin St from Pinckney St to Carroll St.
• Frances from University to Dayton
• Bedford from Dayton St to North Shore Dr
• North Shore Dr from W. Brittingham Pl to John Nolen Dr
If you live on the route, we ask that you don't park on the roads beginning at 8:30am. If you need to get to or from your residence, please contact the nearest volunteer to escort you.
Routes Crossings into the Isthmus and Downtown areas
Although the roads on the route are closed, you can still get to and through downtown to stop and shop. Police officers will be directing traffic through the following intersections:
• Butler at E. Washington Ave
• Webster at E. Washington Ave
• Dayton St at Fairchild
• Johnson at State St
• Gorham at State St
• Gorham at Frances St
• W. Johnson at Frances St
• W. Washington at Bedford
• Williamson St at Blair St
• Inbound traffic on E. Washington will remain open to vehicles.
Thank you sponsors!
The success of the event is thanks to our sponsors and supporters: Trek, Schwinn, Triple M 105.5, Charlie FM, WOLX 94.9, and UWSP Adventure Tours.
- Laura Whitmore, 266-5949