Ride the Drive-Northside- Sunday, August 12, 10a.m. - 3p.m.
Wednesday, August 8, 2012 - 4:36am
Don't miss the City of Madison and Madison Parks Ride the Drive-Northside presented by Trek Ride the Drive this Sunday, August 12, 10a.m. - 3p.m.
Ride the Drive is a community event that transforms some of Madison's streets into a public promenade. Similar to the downtown event, roads in the five mile route are open for participants to bike, skate or walk through some of Madison's signature streets including Sherman Avenue, Troy Drive, and Northport Dr. The event is free and open to the public. Along the route, there will be activity villages that host informational booths, live music, food vendors and fun activities.
Ride the Drive activity villages include:
1. Warner Park at the Duckpond featuring Madison Mallards, disc golf, Learn to Bike activities, vendors, food, and live music on the 105.5 TripleM Music Stage
• 10am Fire and Love
11am Cait Shanahan of Woodson
12 pm A Torrid Affair
1pm Married to the Sea
2. Troy Gardens (Troy Drive and Lerdahl Rd) features food, tours of Troy Gardens, and music by Obobofe Guinee
3. Warner Park Beach (Woodward Drive) features live music by Kettle Moraine, bouncy house, fitness activities, and swimming area.
4. Sherman Avenue at Boyd Avenue: Trek bicycles, free bike demos, cycling information, and Mad Rolling Dolls.
For a full listing of events, vendors and locations, please visit the activities page on Ride the Drive website.
Getting to the event:
We certainly encourage you all to ride a bike to Ride the Drive-Northside. To determine what your best biking route would be, visit the Bike Madison website. Put in Warner Park's address (1625 Northport Drive) in the Plan Your Route guide. If you are driving to the event, please be aware that there will be NO parking in Warner Park or Warner Beach. You will need to look for alternative and available street parking.
FREE B-Cycle Memberships for Volunteers!
We are still seeking volunteers for intersection guides, merchandise tents, set up and much more for this Sunday. Shifts are 2 hours long and are located at various locations along the route. If you can volunteer for two hours at these important roles, we'd appreciate it! All volunteers get a great t-shirt and a free B-cycle membership.
All volunteers can sign up online at the Ride the Drive website.
Route Detours & Road Closures
Although the event begins at 10am, the following roads will be closed at 8:30am on August 12 to set up. All pedestrian traffic and activities will be cleared from the roads starting at 3pm so that the streets may be promptly reopened for automobile traffic. Major streets included in the road closures are:
• N Sherman Ave from Steensland Dr to Warner Park Entrance
• Northport Dr from Troy Dr to Warner Park Entrance. Vehicular traffic will be reduced to one lane eastbound.
• Troy Dr from Northport Dr to Harper Rd
• Harper Rd from Troy Dr to Woodward Dr
• Woodward Dr from Harper Rd to Sheridan Dr
• Sheridan Dr from Woodward Dr to Hooker Ave
• Hooker Ave from Sheridan Dr to Steensland Dr
• Steensland Dr from Hooker Ave to N Sherman Ave
If you live on the route, we ask that you don't park on the roads beginning at 8:30am. If you need to get to or from your residence, please contact the nearest volunteer in a yellow safety vest to escort you.
Routes Crossings for residents
Although the roads are closed there will be a crossing point on the route where Police officers will be directing traffic through the intersection. This intersection is:
• Mac Pherson Street across N Sherman Ave to Shlimgen Ave
See the Map of Traffic Crossing Map below which indicates the available routes, streets open to traffic, and places where motorized vehicles will be allowed to cross from different parts of town during the event. All emergency services will have access without delay.
If you live on the route
Roads on the route will be closed beginning at 8:30am on August 12th and reopen at 3pm. If you have plans for August 12th, please be aware that alternate routes may be needed that day. Please do not park on the route. If you need to leave during the event, please contact volunteers and ask for an escort out of the area.
There are crossing points on the route where Police Officers will be directing traffic for residents who need to get to or from their homes. These intersections are:
• Hovde Rd at Troy Dr routing to Goodland Dr
• Marcy Rd at Troy Dr routing west on Troy Dr
• Schlimgen/MacPherson at Sherman Ave.
Please note that only westbound residential traffic is permitted on Troy Drive. No through traffic. The eastbound lanes of Troy Drive are a part of the Ride the Drive route, and therefore only open to event participants.
Map for Residents (PDF)- Please reference the colored zones on the map to see how you will need to cross the route to get to/from your residence. Orange arrows will indicate where you can cross the route.
Map of Traffic Crossings (PDF)
Other transit notables:
• Warner Park Dog Park will not be accessible by car from 8:30a.m. - 3p.m.
• Warner Park boat launch will only be accessible from Farwell Drive, not Woodward Drive or Sheridan Drive.
• Metro Bus Route 22 will be open and running as scheduled. Please check the Madison Metro website for all other route detours.
Thank you sponsors!
The success of the event is thanks to our sponsors and supporters: Trek, Triple M 105.5, Charlie FM, WOLX 94.9, Hallman/Lindsay Paints, and UWSP Adventure Tours.
For more information about the route, activities, or event, please visit www.cityofmadison.com/ridethedriveContacts:
- Laura Whitmore, 266-5949