Thursday, October 15, 2009 - 5:40pm
Renee' Glass Factory located at 100 S. Baldwin Street, suffered minimal damage after sprinklers extinguished a fire.
On Thursday, October 15, 2009, City of Madison Firefighters were dispatched to a structure fire at 6:19 pm. Before firefighters arrived, Lt. Jeff Annen and his crew from Station #3 knew the building was a commercial structure which housed several businesses and knew the Glass Factory had several kilns. They were also aware the building contained a sprinkler system.
A passerby called 911 when he noticed smoke and flames through a window. He also told the 911 call taker that he heard an alarm and saw a sprinkler activate.
When firefighters arrived, they noticed condensation and dark windows and then forced entry to the building. The fire activated two sprinkler heads, and extinguished the fire. Firefighters checked for extension and helped evacuate the building. They found that the fire was contained to Renee' Glass Factory.
The fire could have damaged many pieces of glass art work and other businesses, if it were not for the sprinkler system.
No one was in the Glass Factory at the time of the fire. Several other people were on the upper floors of the building, but exited the building safely. No one was injured.
Fire and water damaged some equipment and is estimated at $10,000.
The fire is under investigation.Contacts:
- Bernadette Galvez, 608-261-9844