Friday, May 9, 2014 - 10:03pm
A fire in a boiler room at Capital Newspapers forced around 35 employees out of their building Friday evening. City of Madison Firefighters were called to 1901 Fish Hatchery Road around 5:45 pm for a fire alarm.
Employees noticed smoke coming from the bottom of a boiler room door, which was hot to the touch. Alarms were sounding and employees ensured everyone was out of building then called 911.
Firefighters pulled 300 feet of hose into the building. Once entry was made to the boiler room, smoke and water worked its way into the office area. Two sprinkler heads were controlling the fire where several compressors and a boiler are housed. Firefighters completed the extinguishment and ventilated the building using positive pressure fans.
Employees were allowed back into the building.
The fire is under investigation. Estimated fire damage is $25,000.
City of Madison Police and MG&E were called to assist at the fire scene.
Fire Sprinklers save lives and protect property.
The sprinklers helped protect the employees at Capital Newspapers as they evacuated the building and prevented the business from major damage and property loss. Production was able to continue.
- Bernadette Galvez, 608-279-7168, firstname.lastname@example.org