Sprinklers Extinguish Fire on State Street

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 - 6:36am

Automatic sprinklers doused a smoke fire at 532 State Street yesterday afternoon. City of Madison firefighters were called to the structure after a downstairs renter called 911.

She reported to crews that she was down in her basement rental studio, when the smoke detector and fire alarm went off. She smelled smoke first and opened door to a back office/changing room/break room. It was completely engulfed in smoke, but no flames were seen. She called 911 after shutting door and also called the maintenance department.

When Ladder Company 1 met the maintenance person, he reported that a sprinkler head had deployed and the fire was out.

The property manager arrived and stated the office had received a call about a smoking dehumidifier. Damage was limited to the melting of a dehumidifier that was on the floor in the middle of the 8 x 5 room, along with damage to a microwave and small refrigerator in the room.

There was no smoke or fire damage to adjacent units.

The City of Madison Fire Department reminds residents:

• Fire sprinklers save lives, buildings and the environment
• Fire sprinklers help to reduce the carbon footprint of properties by reducing:
-carbon dioxide emissions from fires
-the amount of burned or non-recyclable building materials going to landfills
-energy on rebuilding after fire
-water usage
-diesel fuel usage in heavy fire suppression equipment
• The carbon emissions are not solely from the fire itself; they are also from the billions of material needed to rebuild $14.6 billion in direct property loss following fires (2007 statistic from the National Fire Protection Association).


  • Lori Wirth(608) 266-5947