News Release Home
City of Madison News Release
For Immediate Release:
Dec 24, 2011
For More Information Contact:
Eastside Home Damaged by Fire
Fire caused moderate damage to a home at 801 Valley Road this afternoon. A neighbor reported seeing flames thru the front window as he drove by and called the Dane County 911 Center. Firefighters were dispatched at 4:59 P.M. The first fire crews to arrive were Engine 5 and Medic 5 from Station 5. They reported heavy black smoke upon making entry into the home.
Firefighters attacked the flames with one hose line and had the fire knocked down within three minutes of their arrival. No one was home at the time of the fire. During the primary search two dogs and a cat were found. The dogs were immediately removed but were unresponsive. Firefighters and paramedics began resuscitation efforts on both dogs. After several minutes the dogs were revived using pet masks and oxygen. The cat was okay. An animal control officer responded to the scene and transported the pets to a veterinarian.
No injuries were reported at the scene. Damage to the home is estimated at $20,000 and the cause remains under investigation.
Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Make an escape plan and have a fire drill to practice your plan.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.