News Release Home
City of Madison News Release
For Immediate Release:
May 22, 2012
For More Information Contact:
Fire Engulfs Home, Resident Alerted by Smoke Alarm
The resident at 118 Leon Street heard her smoke alarm sounding and saw a 'glow'. She called 911 to report the fire and left her home. At 2:15 am, City of Madison fire crews responded to the structure fire on Leon Street. As crews arrived to the single story residence, flames had already vented through the roof to half of the structure.
Engine 5 crew was first on the scene and immediately pulled a 2 1/2" hose line, because of the amount of fire coming from the home. The fire was attacked from the outside, while neighboring homes were protected by other crews with fire streams to prevent heat and fire damage.
The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes.
No one was injured. The fire caused an estimated $160,000 in damage, including contents. The resident has insurance.
The fire is under investigation.
Madison Fire Department and Public Safety Communications Center remind residents:
How can I help the 9-1-1 call taker?
• Answer all questions asked by the call-taker.
• Listen to all instructions provided to you by the call taker.
• Speak clearly (so we can understand what you are telling us).
• Remain calm (difficult to do at times, we understand. But by remaining calm, you will help the call taker gather valuable information needed by first responders).