Built in 1963, Station 5 is situated at 4418 Cottage Grove Road, where it serves the southeast side of Madison.
Station 5's territory stretches to the City's southern and eastern borders, responding to incidents on the Interstate and the Beltline, in addition to serving the densely-populated neighborhoods in that area.
Station 5 houses Engine 5 and Medic 5.
- Engine 5 – a 2017 Pierce Quantum Pumper manufactured in Appleton, WI with a Hale fire pump rated at 1250 gallons per minute. It has a 500-gallon booster tank and carries an additional 20 gallons of foam for Class A fires. It contains four pre-connected fire attack lines and a compliment of 5” and 2 ½” supply lines. In addition to firefighting and rescue tools, Engine 5 carries a full complement of EMS equipment. Engine 5 has a gross vehicle weight of 46,800 pounds and is powered by a 400 hp Cummins diesel engine which provides a top speed of 65 miles per hour.
- Medic 5 – a 2017 Ford E-450 with a Braun Advanced Life Support patient compartment. It carries a full complement of advanced life support medicine and equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear. To aide in patient and paramedic safety, it operates with a Stryker power-loading cot.
- 1 Lieutenant, station officer
- 1 Apparatus Engineer (driver) operating the engine
- 2 Firefighters staffing the engine
- 2 Paramedics staffing the ambulance
Many stations develop a specific identity over time and carry that through with logos that members of the crew display with pride. All three shifts worked in cooperation to develop Station 5's logo which prominently showcases the original "5" that was displayed when the station was first established in 1925.
Known as "The Nickel," Station 5 prides itself on going "Above & Beyond" to serve its diverse territory, from providing fire and EMS service to residential and industrial neighborhoods to hosting community outreach events like Firefighter Fun Day.
Station Five's News
Meet Firefighter Bryce Powell Posted 03/13/2018Seventeen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Get to know them by subscribing to the MFD Blog. Where are you stationed? Station 5 (Cottage Grove Road) on the B shift. Read more »
Meet Firefighter Charles Campbell Posted 03/08/2018Seventeen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Get to know them by subscribing to the MFD Blog. Where are you stationed? I'm at Station 5 (Cottage Grove Rd.) on the A shift. Read more »
Apparatus Engineer Mindy Huitt Retires From MFD Posted 01/09/2018Apparatus Engineer Mindy Huitt steps down from the driver’s seat of Ladder 2 one last time this week, wrapping up nearly thirty years with the Madison Fire Department. Huitt was a carpenter before joining the MFD’s recruit class of 1988. It was a career shift that might not have happened if not for the encouragement of a rugby teammate who thought she should give it a try. Read more »
Old Fire Hoses Find New Life At the Henry Vilas Zoo Posted 12/21/201716-year-old Kawan takes hold of the line. With speed and precision she reaches forward, grasping to the ropes and slings with her hands and feet as her body swings upward. Seconds later she’s out of sight, hugging the skylights high above all who watch. Read more »
Crews Practice Extrication Skills Using New Battery-Powered Equipment Posted 12/07/2017Station 5’s crew on the ‘A’ shift, with assistance from Ladder 8, recently had the opportunity to participate in vehicle extrication training at Liberty Towing and Roman Auto Body on Madison's east side. Engine 8 and Medic 8 also joined in as the crews practiced using new HURST eDRAULIC extrication tools that are new addition aboard Ladder 8! These battery-powered cordless tools allow rescuers more flexibility on scenes of emergencies which often involve passengers pinned inside severely damaged vehicles. Read more »
Meet Lieutenant Wes Ecker Posted 09/17/2017Six new lieutenants were recently promoted. Get to know them all week long on the MFD Blog! Where are you stationed? I'm at Station 5 (Cottage Grove Road) on the 'C' shift. Read more »
Meet Lieutenant Linnea Anderson Posted 09/13/2017Six new lieutenants were recently promoted. Get to know them all week long on the MFD Blog! Where are you stationed? I’m at Station 5 (Cottage Grove Road) on the ‘A’ shift. Read more »
Meet Firefighter Maj-Britt Williams Posted 05/10/2017Eighteen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Check back daily and get to know them. Where are you stationed? I’m at Station 5 (Cottage Grove Rd.) on the ‘A’ shift. Read more »
Meet Firefighter Ruth Savard Posted 05/08/2017Eighteen new firefighters now serve at a fire station near you! Check back daily and get to know them. Where are you stationed? I'm at Station 5 (Cottage Grove Rd.) on the C shift. Read more »
EMS Training Officer Beth Risler Retires From MFD Posted 03/09/2017In a department comprised of more than 350 commissioned members, few can say they know every name and recognize every face. Consider, then, what an achievement it is to know every name, every face, and have a direct impact on everybody’s career. Read more »