Fire Damages Studio Space On Stewart Street

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Friday, September 29, 2017 - 6:48pm
Arrival
Friday, September 29, 2017 - 6:53pm
Address
800 Block Stewart Street
Madison, WI 53713
Narrative

Firefighters were called to a single-story structure on the 800 block of Stewart Street for what turned out to be a fire consuming a refrigerator.

Band practice taking place inside the building was interrupted by the fire alarm. As the band looked around to see what was going on, they found smoke in a common hallway.

Ladder Company 6 entered with a water can extinguisher and began searching the building, which is comprised mainly of studio spaces used by bands. Many rooms were locked, and thermal imaging cameras indicated the doors were not hot. The crew did encounter one door showing heat near the ceiling.

Upon forcing entry, firefighters were met with heavy smoke and discovered a fire centered around a refrigerator and surrounding materials. Ladder 6 controlled and knocked down the fire using their 5-gallon water extinguisher. After confirming all electrical power was shut down, the entire area was sprayed down with water. The room suffered significant damage as a result of the fire.

The refrigerator was removed from the building as it continued to pose a fire hazard. There were no injuries reported, and all occupants who use the rehearsal space were notified of the incident.

Posted 10/02/2017 - 10:11am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)