Discarded Charcoal Reignites, Damaging Backyard Fence

Incident Type
Outdoor
Dispatch
Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 7:04pm
Arrival
Saturday, September 30, 2017 - 7:06pm
Address
1700 Block Van Hise
Madison, WI 53706
Narrative

A container of discarded charcoal was the source of a fire that damaged a backyard fence over the weekend.

Firefighters were called to the Van Hise neighborhood after bystanders reported seeing 6-foot flames coming from the top of a wooden fence. They rushed to put out the fire with a garden hose.

There was no active fire when Engine Company 4 arrived, but two fence boards continued to smolder. Firefighters used garden hoses belonging to two neighboring houses to cool down the boards. The fire did not spread beyond the fence, and a nearby garage remained unaffected.

The homeowner explained he put charcoal in a container following a cookout. He thought the charcoal was cool enough to dispose of, seeing as he’d sprayed it with water. Charcoal is known to reignite for up to 72 hours after use.

Estimated damages total approximately $100 between the burned fence boards and the damaged disposal container.

Posted 10/02/2017 - 10:30am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)