Kitchen Fire Displaces Occupant On Luann Lane

Incident Type
Structure
Dispatch
Sunday, October 1, 2017 - 1:51pm
Arrival
Sunday, October 1, 2017 - 1:55pm
Address
2200 Block Luann Lane
Madison, WI
Narrative

Smoke emanated from a second-floor apartment’s open patio door as Medic 6, Ladder 6, and other responding crews arrived at an apartment complex on Luann Lane.

Firefighters set up a ground ladder to the balcony and accessed the unit from balcony as others entered from the main entrance and common hallways. The apartment was charged with smoke when firefighters made their way inside.

It appeared a fire had burned on the stovetop, extending to the ventilation hood fan and upper cabinets above the stove. The fire was mostly out, but firefighters applied some water to the area to ensure that all burned items were cooled down.

The resident said she was heating up some grease and stepped away from the kitchen for “just a minute.” When she returned the kitchen was hot and smoky. She ran for a fire extinguisher but says she didn’t know how to use it. Her boyfriend took the extinguisher and deployed it, knocking down the fire just before firefighters arrived.

Firefighters cleared smoke from the apartment and hallways, and utilities to the unit have been shut down until a technician can examine the extent of damage to the electrical wiring. The tenant did not have renter’s insurance, but she was able to secure alternate housing accommodations until she can return to her apartment.

Posted 10/02/2017 - 10:48am
Contacts

Cynthia Schuster (Public Information Officer)