Fire Causes $50,000 Damage
January 15, 2009
The residents of a campus apartment building are safe tonight following a fire that caused $50,000 damage. A resident of 321 Walnut Street discovered the fire in her apartment and went outside. The building's alarm system was activated and alerted the other residents of the fire.
City of Madison firefighters were sent to the scene at 5:34 PM and arrived within four minutes. As they entered the apartment, the crew of Engine 4 encountered black smoke at the doorway. Flames were found near the rear of the apartment and were quickly darkened down with the hoseline.
Other fire crews searched the five-unit, two-story building to make sure everyone was out and used fans to remove smoke from the building. Most of the fire damage was confined to one apartment. Two other apartments suffered smoke damage and one suffered water damage.
At this time, the fire appears to be accidental. Despite the extremely cold temperatures and icy fire scene, no injuries were reported.
The building's owner is assisting the residents with temporary housing while the damaged apartments are repaired and cleaned.
Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home and in each sleeping area. Interconnected smoke alarms are will make sure the alarm is heard throughout the home.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Have a home escape plan and practice it twice a year.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
- Eric Dahl, 608-279-7148