Machinery Caused Robertson Warehouse Fire

June 3, 2009

City of Madison Fire Investigators have determined that hot embers from a notching machine used in the manufacture and repair of wooden pallets caused the fire at Madison Pallet Recycling on Robertson Road on May 16.

Firefighters responded to the warehouse fire at 4413 Robertson after a neighbor called 911 with a report of smoke and flames in the building. The building is a long metal structure that houses three separate businesses, including the Dog Haus, which boards dogs overnight.

Investigators traced the origin of the fire to a corner of the pallet recycling business where hundreds of wooden pallets were stored. The pallets were stacked up to 30 feet high in places. Firefighters reported flames to the ceiling of the warehouse. Heat from the fire bulged out the metal wall and warped iron beams.

No one was injured in the fire, but smoke damage extended the length of the building, including a non-profit at the other end where donated medical supplies were kept.The fire caused between $275,000 and $300,000 in damages.

Contact:
  • Lori Wirth, 608-266-5947