Man Burned in Car Fire on East Side

June 27, 2009

A 31-year-old man was transported by City of Madison paramedics to UW Hospital this evening after he suffered burns while working on a vehicle in a driveway at 106 Ohio Avenue. Firefighters were dispatched at 9:12 p.m.

A witness said the man was working under the car near the fuel line when gas started leaking. Fire investigators are trying to determine if a work light ignited the gasoline fumes. The man attempted to put out the fire with an extinguisher, but the fire spread too quickly.

The witness alerted neighbors and called 911. Engine Company 3 was the first-in crew. They reported thick, black smoke and flames reaching the roofline of the two-story homes on either side of the driveway.

The house at 106 Ohio had damage to the rear corner of the building closest to the vehicle. Firefighters were able to prevent the fire from damaging a neighboring home on the other side of the driveway.

No one else was injured.

A preliminary damage estimate to the vehicle and the house is set at $20,000.

Contact:
  • Lori Wirth, 608-266-5947