Goodland Drive Fire Cause Released
April 27, 2010
An electrical fault is listed as the cause of the fire that heavily damaged a vacant home at 3913 Goodland Drive on Friday morning. A City of Madison Fire Investigator determined that the fire started in the attic area and burned through the roof before it was noticed by neighbors and passersby.
Damage to the home is estimated at $100,000. No injuries were reported at the scene.
The National Fire Protection Association offers the following safety tips to reduce the number of fires and injuries from electrical appliances and equipment:
• Replace or repair loose or damaged cords on all electrical devices.
• Avoid running extension cords across doorways or under carpets.
• In homes with small children, unused wall sockets and extension-cord receptacles should have plastic safety covers.
• Consider having additional circuits or outlets added by a qualified electrician so you do not have to use extension cords.
• Follow the manufacturer's instructions for plugging an appliance into an electrical outlet.
• Avoid overloading outlets. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each electrical outlet at a time.
• If outlets or switches feel warm, shut off the circuit and have them checked by an electrician.
• When possible, avoid the use of "cube taps" and other devices that allow the connection of multiple appliances into a single outlet.
• Place lamps on level surfaces, away from things that can burn and use bulbs that match the lamp's recommended wattage.
- Eric Dahl, 608-279-7148