Apartment Fire Doused by Sprinklers

September 16, 2010

City of Madison Firefighters were called to a fire at 21 North Butler St. this morning at 11:24.

Investigators believe the fire started when a natural gas pipe broke in a mechanical room at the Butler Plaza apartment building. The pipe supplies the water heater.

When a maintenance worker left the mechanical room to shut off the natural gas, the owner observed fire in the room.

A single sprinkler head extinguished the fire. Damage to the pipe insulation and wiring in the mechanical room is estimated at about $2000.

Contact:
  • Lori Wirth, (608) 266-5947