MFD: Blizzard of Activity Follows Blizzard

February 2, 2011

City of Madison firefighters responded to 11 carbon monoxide calls today, beginning shortly after midnight.

In virtually every circumstance, the cause of the carbon monoxide buildup was snow- and ice-covered furnace vents. The calls came in both from residents who were alerted by a carbon monoxide alarm, and those who called with symptoms of dizziness and/or nausea.

Fire apparatus used tire chains for much of the day and relied on the City Streets Department only twice to assist with plows to get to calls.

Navigating City streets was made easier by the lighter traffic, with many people heeding warnings to stay off the roads.

The Department did require extra crews on many calls when it turned out that getting through the streets was easier than getting from the street to houses. The extra crews assisted with shoveling out driveways and walkways to allow paramedics better access for stretchers and patients.

Contact:
  • Lori Wirth, (608) 575-4943