Raymond Road Fire Caused by Combustible Material Too Close to Stove

April 26, 2011

Combustible material too close to the stove at 5301 Raymond Road ignited the fire on Saturday, April 23rd around 4:45 pm.
Firefighters extinguished the fire within 15 minutes, but the fire caused $35,000 in damage.
Two occupants and a small dog were in the home at the time of the fire, and evacuated before firefighters arrived and were evaluated, but not transported.
* * *
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) offers the following safety tips.
• Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
• If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you're cooking.
• To prevent cooking fires, you have to be alert. You won't be if you are sleepy, have been drinking alcohol, or have taken medicine that makes you drowsy.
• Keep anything that can catch fire - potholders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, boxes, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.
• Keep the stovetop, burners and oven clean.
• Keep pets off cooking surfaces and nearby countertops to prevent them from knocking things onto the burner.
• Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and can catch fire if it comes in contact with a gas flame or electric burner.

Contact:
  • Bernadette Galvez, 608-261-9844