No Cause Yet in Condo Fire
May 21, 2011
The cause of last night's fire in the 6900 block of Old Sauk Court remains under investigation. City of Madison Fire Investigators hope to pinpoint a definitive cause and origin of the fire sometime next week.
The fire destroyed two 2-story condominiums, and damaged two more, displacing more than a dozen residents and at least five pets.
A 73-year-old woman who lived in the unit where the fire is believed to have started was rescued from a second-story balcony by off-duty firefighters. Three of them are City of Madison firefighters.
The City of Madison Fire Department reminds residents, in the event of a fire:
• Resist the temptation to attempt to fight the fire yourself.
• Evacuate the building immediately through your nearest exit.
• In multi-family structures, sound an alarm as you leave.
• Once out safely, call 911 to report the emergency.
- Lori Wirth, (608) 266-5947