Unattended Cooking Fire Causes $25,000 Damage

August 24, 2011

An unattended cooking fire caused approximately $25,000 damage to an apartment at 622 Vera Court Wednesday afternoon. All occupants of the eight unit apartment building escaped without injury.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 2:17 PM and arrived five minutes later. They found the apartment filled with smoke and a fire burning in the kitchen. The fire was extinguished with a small amount of water. Firefighters remained on the scene for about two hours ventilating smoke from the building and searching for fire extension in the walls and ceiling.

Fire and heat damaged the cabinets, walls and ceiling in the kitchen. Smoke damage extended throughout the apartment.

The American Red Cross and the apartment management company are assisting the four people who live in the fire apartment with housing and temporary needs.

Once the fire was discovered, the occupants reacted correctly by activating the building's fire alarm, warning others in the building of the fire, evacuating the building and calling 911 for help.

You can prevent cooking fires by following these tips:

•Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don't use the stove or stovetop.

•Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.

•If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.

•Keep anything that can catch fire - oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.

Contact:
  • Eric Dahl, 608-279-7148