Discarded Smoking Materials Cause of Monday Fire

November 2, 2011

Monday's apartment balcony fire at 3120 Maple Valley Dr. has been attributed to discarded smoking materials by City of Madison fire investigators.

Workers at a nearby business called in the fire at 12:35 p.m. on Monday after they saw smoke from a third floor balcony.

The fire damaged two balconies on the multi-family apartment building. Balconies on the second and third floor had fire damage. The fire did not extend to the interior of the building.

Damages are estimated at $1500. Investigators learned a guest at the apartment had stubbed out his cigarette in a potted plant on the balcony. He was fully cooperative with the Fire Department and is working with the occupants of the apartment to repair the damage.

Contact:
  • Lori Wirth, (608) 266-5947