Fire Damages Auto Detail Shop
February 7, 2012
Fire caused $250,000 damage to an auto detail shop located in a multi-tenant commercial building on Pflaum Road this morning. The initial caller reported to 911 that there was a car on fire inside the building. Fire crews were dispatched at 10:25 am and arrived within five minutes. Medic 5 and Engine 5, the first-in units, confirmed that everyone was out of the building and reported heavy black smoke inside the detail shop.
Firefighters used a saw to cut a hole in the overhead garage door allowing them access to extinguish the fire inside. A hole was also cut in the roof above the fire to release the heat and smoke from the building. The fire had spread to a large amount of tires that were stored above an office area in the building. Firefighters had to pull the tires off of the office and remove them from the building to complete extinguishment.
Damage was mostly contained to the unit where the fire started. Other businesses in the building were closed until electrical service for the building could be safely restored.
Paramedics checked two people who were on scene, but nobody was transported to the hospital. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
The Madison Fire Department offers these safety suggestions:
• MAKE an escape plan for your business and discuss it with your employees.
• Know at least two ways out of every room or area of the building.
• Have an outside meeting place (like a tree, light pole or mailbox) a safe distance from the building where everyone should meet.
• Hold a fire drill at least once a year so everyone can practice exiting the building. Practice using different ways out.
• Close doors behind you as you leave.
• If you have to escape through smoke, get low and go under the smoke to your way out.
• Once you are outside, stay outside. Never go back inside the building.
• Call the fire department from outside the building.
- Eric Dahl, 608-261-9845