Units Respond to Simultaneous Kitchen Fires

February 29, 2012

City of Madison Firefighters responded to two kitchen fires within four minutes of each other on Wednesday afternoon. The first fire, located on Bowen Court, was dispatched at 1:57 pm. As crews were arriving at this fire scene, a full structure fire response was sent to a second kitchen fire on Fordem Avenue.

The fire on Bowen Court involved some plastic that burned up inside of the oven. The smoke from this fire caused about $2,500 damage to the oven and kitchen.

The Fordem Avenue fire started when oil in a pot on the stovetop overflowed onto the burner and caught fire. The occupant threw a towel on the flames and then used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire. Firefighters used fans to remove smoke from the unit and checked to make sure the fire was out. Damage was minor and limited to the stovetop and some cookware.

No injuries were reported at either fire.

The Madison Fire Department and the National Fire Protection Association offer these safety suggestions:
• If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don't use the stove or stovetop.
• Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
• If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
• Keep anything that can catch fire - oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.
If you have a cooking fire:
• Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
• Call 9-1-1 after you leave.
• If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
• Keep a lid nearby when you're cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
• For an oven fire turn off the heat and keep the door closed.

Contact:
  • Eric Dahl, 608-261-9845