Fire In Potting Soil Causes $10,000 Damage

April 6, 2012

Discarded smoking materials deposited in dried potting soil, causes $10,000 damage to a second story apartment.

City of Madison Fire Crews responded to 17 Ridgeview Court at 11:38 am for a report of a fire on a
second story balcony. Ladder 8's crew was first on scene and found the fire was extinguished prior to their arrival. A Mail Carrier kicked the door in and knocked down the fire with a dry chemical extinguisher. The tenant and maintenance personnel helped with extinguishment.

The fire caused some charring to the attic, so firefighters check for extension and cleared the smoke out of the attic area using positive pressure fans.

The tenant was able to return to their apartment and has renters insurance.

Smoking is the number #1 cause of fire deaths.

If you smoke, be sure you:
• Do not extinguish smoker's materials in plant pots, potting soil, peat moss or other types of soil.
• Always use a deep, non-combustible receptacle that cigarettes can fall into.
• Ensure that matches and cigarettes are wet before you empty them into a garbage receptacle. This will prevent them from smoldering and starting a fire.
• Keep smoker's materials, including lighters and matches, out of reach of children.

Contact:
  • Bernadette Galvez, 608-279-7168
  • 608-261-9844