Kitchen Fire Causes $35,000 Damage

June 28, 2012

A kitchen fire caused an estimated $35,000 damage to a retail shop at 2215 Atwood Avenue this afternoon. The fire started after a cardboard box was left sitting on a gas stove. The stove's pilot light ignited the box and the resulting fire spread to a microwave, the ceiling and other nearby objects.

The fire call was dispatched at 1:11 p.m. and Engine 3 arrived on scene first. They reported heavy smoke coming from the front and rear of the two-story building. The owner met the firefighters and told them that he extinguished the fire, but there was a large amount of smoke throughout the building including the basement.

Engine 3 and Ladder 1 used fans to remove smoke from the two-story building and checked to make sure the fire was completely extinguished.

No injuries were reported at the scene.

Madison Firefighters have responded to many stovetop fires similar to this one. They have seen food storage containers, cereal boxes, and many other combustible items stored on the stovetop or in the oven. These items can easily ignite if the oven or a burner is turned on. Kitchen fires like these can easily be prevented by following these safety tips:
• Do not use the oven or stovetop for storage.
• Keep anything that can catch fire - oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or curtains - away from your stovetop.
• Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don't use the stove or stovetop.
• Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
• If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.

Contact:
  • Eric Dahl, 608-261-9845