Unattended Grease on Stove Cause of Fire on Raymond Road
April 8, 2013
City of Madison Fire Investigators has determined that unattended grease left on the stove was the cause of Sunday's fire.
The fire leaves two families displaced from their duplex after a fire started in the kitchen.
The occupant's brother, who lives at 6210 Raymond Road, noticed smoke coming from the downstairs outlets. He and his sister, both adults, ran outside to the neighbor's and saw fire through the sliding glass doors. The sister immediately called 911. No one was home at 6212 Raymond Road when the fire broke out shortly after 8:00 pm.
Firefighters arrived and noticed smoke coming from the second story. When the Lieutenant walked around the building, he saw fire as he looked through the glass doors. In a coordinated effort, Ladder 7 forced entry to 6212 Raymond Road, while crews pulled a hose line from Engine 7 and extinguished the fire within 5 minutes. Ladder 7 also conducted a search and found that all residents were out of the structure. Crews chased some fire when it extended within the walls, but was quickly extinguished.
Because the duplex has a mansard roof- (A four sided roof having a double slope on all sides, with the lower slope much steeper than the upper.) Crews pulled the soffits to be sure the fire did not extend in the roof.
Extensive fire damage occurred to the first floor of 6212 Raymond Road and smoke damage throughout the home. 6210 Raymond Road suffered some smoke damage. No occupants were injured. Smoke alarms were sounding throughout the home.
While conducting firefighting operations, one firefighter was injured but was treated and released at the scene.
The loss to the structure is estimated at $80,000. $50,000 in property loss and $30,000 in contents.
Red Cross is working with the two families who were displaced by the fire. Displaced were a total of 2 adults and 6 children (between the ages of 2 - 12 years old).
- Bernadette Galvez, 608-279-7168