Madison Water Utility launches contest to encourage reusable bottle use
July 8, 2013
Did you know Americans toss out 2.5 million plastic water bottles every HOUR?
MWU is encouraging Madisonians to switch from disposable plastic water bottles to reusable bottles this summer with our "Bare Your Bottle" contest. Just snap a photo of yourself around Madison showing off your reusable water bottle, and you could win a sweet stainless steel bike bottle. Plus we'll post your photo on our Facebook page and share it on Twitter!
Log on to www.madisonwater.org for contest details, and show of your commitment to sustainability this summer.
• For the cost of one store-bought bottle of water, you can fill a reusable bottle with Madison tap water 5,000 times.
• 17 million barrels of crude oil are used every year to produce plastic disposable water bottles.
• Less than one quarter of those bottles ever get recycled.
• Madison water is tested thousands of times a year and consistently exceeds federal and state standards for health and safety.
- Amy Barrilleaux, Water Utility PIO, (608) 266-9129