Lane Closures on John Nolen Drive, North Shore Drive & Broom Street
July 30, 2013
To improve the pedestrian/bike crossing at John Nolen-North Shore intersection and to increase the safety for northbound left-turn drivers from John Nolen Drive to westbound North Shore Drive, the City and its contractors are currently reconstructing part of the southbound John Nolen Drive between Broom Street and North Shore Drive. The project includes reconstructing two traffic islands and installing new median and new storm sewer in the area.
To facilitate the construction, the following lane closures or restrictions will be expected:
• Southbound John Nolen Drive at North Shore Drive: Two through lanes and one right-turn lane will be maintained during afternoon peak hours (3:30 - 5:30 PM). At least one through lane and one right-turn lane will be maintained at all other times.
• Eastbound North Shore Drive at John Nolen Drive: One left-turn lane and one right-turn lane will be maintained at all times.
• Eastbound Broom Street at John Nolen Drive: One left-turn and two right-turn lanes will be maintained at all times. However, during non-afternoon peak hours, the left right-turn will be dedicated for John Nolen traffic only and the right right-turn lane will be dedicated for North Shore traffic only.
Pedestrian/bike crossings at John Nolen Drive will be maintained at all times.
The project is expected to last until end of August. Severe congestion is expected during peak traffic hours, and motorists are encouraged to use alternative routes to avoid delay during this project.
# # # # # #
David C. Dryer, P.E., City Traffic Engineer and Parking Manager
- Yang Tao, City Traffic Engineering, 608-266-4815
- Tony Fernandez, City Engineering, 608-266-9219
- John Fahrney, City Construction Engineer, 608-266-4862