Fire Damages Outside Wall of Apartment Building
September 8, 2013
An exterior fire caused approximately $15,000 damage to a four unit apartment building at 1125 Catalpa Circle early Sunday morning. The fire involved two recycling carts and miscellaneous items stored next to the building. Fire and smoke damaged the exterior wall, a door and two air conditioners.
A Town of Madison firefighter driving on Badger Road saw and smelled smoke. He followed the smoke to the apartment building on Catalpa Circle where he saw a fire burning next to the building. The firefighter went to the Town of Madison Fire Station and reported the fire.
Town of Madison firefighters responded to the scene and notified the 911 center of the fire. City of Madison firefighters were then dispatched at 4:19 a.m. When City of Madison Ladder 6 arrived, the fire was knocked down. The crew from Ladder 6 checked for any fire extension into the attic space and ventilated light smoke from the apartments.
No injuries were reported at the scene. The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Firefighters remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Install smoke alarms on every level of the home, in each bedroom, and outside each bedroom.
• Test your smoke alarms every month.
• Make an escape plan and have a fire drill to practice your plan.
• When the alarm sounds, get out and stay out.
• After you have escaped, call 9-1-1 from a safe place.
• Never go back inside the building for any reason.
- Eric Dahl, 608-261-9845