City of

Replacement Permits

The Permit is valid only for the address, vehicle, and license plate for which the permit was issued. If there are ANY changes to this information (i.e. move, sell/junk vehicle, change plates), you must return your current permit and apply for a replacement. The cost of a replacement permit is $7.00. Replacements will not be issued without the original permit. Applicants for a replacement permit must complete a Replacement Residential Permit Application (PDF).
  • IF YOU CHANGE LICENSE PLATES ON YOUR VEHICLE, you must get a replacement permit showing the new license plate number. The original permit (all or part of it) must be removed from the vehicle and returned to the Madison Parking Division at the time you request a replacement permit.

  • IF YOU SELL OR JUNK YOUR VEHICLE, the original permit must be removed from the vehicle and returned to the Madison Parking Division. If you wish to have a replacement permit issued for another vehicle, you must (1) produce all or part of the original permit at the time the replacement is applied for, and (2) bring in the vehicle registration form for the new vehicle.

  • IF YOU MOVE TO ANOTHER ADDRESS: (1) Change your vehicle registration to your new address by calling the State Motor Vehicle Division at (608) 266-1466. (2) Bring proof of your new address (e.g., signed lease agreement), your vehicle registration, and your original permit to the City Parking Division office, (PDF) 30 W. Mifflin St, Suite 900, between 7:30 a.m. and 4:15 p.m., Monday-Friday to apply for a replacement permit.

  • IF YOU MOVE TO AN ADDRESS OUTSIDE THE RESIDENTIAL PERMIT PROGRAM AREA, you must return the permit to City Parking Division, P.O. Box 2986, 30 W. Mifflin St, Suite 900, Madison, WI 53701-2986. Be sure to include your name and license plate number with your permit. Failure to return the permit may result in permit revocation and/or a one-year sanction on new permits being issued.