Meter hoods, temporary no parking signs, moving / storage containers
meter hoods / bags
Meter Hoods can be used to secure on-street parking: to accommodate large moving trucks; to facilitate construction on property adjacent to the street; to accommodate weddings or funerals; to prohibit parking for block parties, races, or parades. City ordinance allows up to six meter hoods for weddings and funerals at no charge. All other uses require payment. If meter hoods are to be used as part of a block party, race, or parade, a Street Use Permit or Parade Permit must be obtained in advance. Contractors seeking parking may find contractor hang tags to be a viable option. Depending on the type of construction, a Street Occupancy Permit may be required. Call 608-266-4761 for more information.
- Meter Hoods are issued for a full day, 8am to 6pm, or half day, either 8am to 1pm or 1pm to 6pm. If the parking space will be in use before and after 1pm, a full day hood will be required.
- To offset lost revenue, the cost to reserve a parking space is $16 per full day and $9 per half day, Monday through Saturday. No fee is charged on Sundays. There is a $1 charge per paper Meter Hood.
- Hoods are placed on meters by the purchaser. The paper Meter Hoods must be removed immediately after use and recycled by the purchaser.
- For more information, or to request Meter Hoods call the Parking Utility at 608-266-4761.
Temporary no parking signs
In areas where there are no parking meters, temporary No Parking signs can be issued: to accommodate large moving trucks; to facilitate construction on property adjacent to the street; to accommodate weddings or funerals; to prohibit parking for block parties, races, or parades. Signs for weddings and funerals are provided at no charge per city ordinance. All other uses require payment. If No Parking signs are to be used as part of a block party, race, or parade, a Street Use Permit or Parade Permit must be obtained in advance. If No Parking signs are to be utilized in areas where parking is restricted to a one or two-hour duration, and if parking beyond this restriction is necessary, a contractor parking permit will be required. These permits cost $5 per vehicle per day, and allow the vehicle to remain parked beyond the one or two-hour restriction. If construction is to occur, and depending on the type, a Street Occupancy Permit may be required. Call 608-266-4761 for more information.
- Temporary No Parking Signs cost $1 per sign.
- Signs must be posted by the purchaser in compliance with Madison Police Department Guidelines (pdf).
- For more information, or to request Temporary No Parking Signs call the Parking Utility at 608-266-4761.
on-street moving / storage containers, pods, trailers
If possible, storage containers, pods, and trailers (hereinafter referred to as containers) should be located off-street in private driveways, private parking lots, or other private property. If this is not feasible you may apply for a Street Occupancy Permit to place the container on the street.
- Applications for a Street Occupancy Permit must be in writing and can be initiated in person at the Parking Utility office, 215 Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, Suite 100. It is advisable to call ahead for help with container placement.
- The fee for a permit is $50.
- Containers may not remain on the street for more than 5 consecutive calendar days.
- If the container is to be placed at a metered parking space, meter hoods must be purchased for the duration of this placement (see above).
- No container may be located on any City street or right-of-way from November 15th through March 15th while alternate side parking rules are in effect.
- Containers can only be placed in front of the residence of the container user.
- No containers may be placed in a traffic lane, peak hour lane, bike lane, parking restriction area, at a bus stop or other street area designated for a specific use.
- Containers are not allowed on the terrace between the street and sidewalk.
- For more information call the Parking Utility at 608-266-4761.