Hours: 4:00am - 10:00pm Park Type: Neighborhood Acres: 11.76 Restroom: Yes Drinking Water: Yes Shoreline On: Lake Wingra
In 1900, the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association acquired the ten acres that is now known as Wingra Park and Boat Livery on Lake Wingra, between Terry Place and Knickerbocker Street. It was originally the site of the Knickerbocker Ice Company storehouse, when ice was being harvested on Lake Wingra. The ice harvesting was later operated by the Conklin Ice Company, and the park was first known as Olin Playground when acquired by the Association, although it appears as Conklin Park on early city maps. The name was changed to Washington Park and subsequently to Wingra Park. The area residents raised $200 for improvements of Washington Park and the street connected with it, and an addition to the park was made possible in 1925 by the Olin Trust Fund. Another addition was made to the park in 1937 by what was known as the Cedars area. The park now encompasses over ten acres and gives a wide variety of recreational facilities which include: basketball, bike paths, boat rental, picnic and play areas, shoreline fishing, and a scenic overlook.