WHEN SHOULD I APPLY FOR A PERMIT FOR MY EVENT?
The application, documents and fee (non-refundable application fee made payable to City Treasurer) must be submitted at least 30 days prior to your event. If there will be alcohol sold at your event applications must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the event and you must also apply for a separate Beer/Wine Sales Permit through the Clerk’s Office.
If special event resolutions are requested for your event, then submission a minimum 60 days before the event date is required. Resolutions are needed for:
- Suspension - In order to sell merchandise within your event area
- Invalidation - To invalidate City Vendors’ Licenses within your event area
Both Suspension and Invalidation are known as “Exclusive Use”
Also, consider the following:
- If your event requires a Certificate of Insurance this document must be received by the City of Madison Risk Management Office 30 days prior to the event.
- A late fee of $100 will be charged for applications received after the deadlines indicated.
- Review the fee schedule to estimate the costs for your event and any extra permits or equipment rental you may need.
- Check the Madison Parks Events Calendar to see if your preferred date and location are available
There are many steps to planning a successful event in the city of Madison. It is vital that you read and complete every one of these steps. If you miss one, your permit application may denied. This website will take you, step by step, through all of the necessary requirements.
STEP 1: Start Planning Your Event
STEP 2: Application Requirements
STEP 3: Complete Event Schedule
STEP 4: Event Site Map
STEP 5: Safety and Security Plans
STEP 6: Trash and Recycling Plan
STEP 7: Notification Requirements
STEP 8: Certificate of Insurance for your event
STEP 9: Event Bicycle Parking
STEP 10: Event Marketing
STEP 11: Additional Permits; Special Event Vending License; Beer/Wine Sales Permit
STEP 12: Event Fees
STEP 13: Permit Application Submission and Follow-up
call (608) 266-4711
Olbrich Botanical Gardens Reservations
call (608) 246-4733 or email
Warner Park Community Recreation Center Reservations
call (608) 245-3694