Community Events on State Street and the Capitol Square
Rallies and Marches on State Street Permit Application Process
Are you organizing a rally and/or march on State Street?
We highly encourage you to use the locations and times allowed for a Downtown Performance Space Permit. This will save you cost and time. This permit can be issued quickly, no earlier than 3 weeks prior to the event. Cost is $15 plus $0.25/hour electricity fee.
The following permits also may be required from the City and/or the State.
- If you decide to stage your rally outside of the the prescribed locations and times allowed for State Street Amplification, you will need to apply for a Street Use Permit. Please note, you will need to apply 30 days prior to your rally and there is a $100 non-refundable application fee.
- Parade Permit: If there is a march component to the event, you will need a parade permit
- If you intend to have your march end at the Capitol Building or Grounds, you will need a State Facility Use Permit. To obtain this permit, you must contact Capitol Police, or call (608) 266-7840.
1. Complete the Application
Dependent on the requirements of your event, complete a Downtown Performance Permit (RECOMMENDED) or a Street Use Permit Application. If you have any questions about this process, please call (608) 266-6033.
2. Submit to:
Madison Parks Division
210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Room 104
Madison, WI 53703
Fax: (608) 267‑1162
3. Review by Madison Parks Staff
If you use the recommended process of the State Street Amplification Permit, applications are reviewed and issued as they are received; if time and location requested are available. If you are planning your rally outside of the recommended locations and times, the Street Use Permit Application is reviewed monthly by a city panel.
4. Approval and Issuance
Amplification Permits are issued when availability is confirmed and in compliance with MGO 24.04(3)(b)2.
Phone (608) 266‑6033 or email Madison Events.
More Parks & Facilities Available for Reservation
- Park Shelter Reservations
- Olbrich Botanical Gardens Reservations
(608) 246-4733 / Email
- Warner Park Community Recreation Center Reservations