APPLIANCE FEE STICKERSThe City of Madison charges a fee to recycle many appliances, televisions, computer monitors, laptop and desk top computers. This fee applies to appliances left at the curb for collection or brought to the two City drop off sites as well as to TV's and computer componenets which are not picked up at the curb and must be brought to our drop off sites.
What will be charged the Appliance Fee?
A $35 fee will be charged for the following appliances
- Air Compressors
- Air Conditioners
- Large Commercial Appliances
- Wood Stoves
- Trash Compactors
- Water Heaters
- Water Softeners
- Large Medical Devices
- Ice Machines
- Water Coolers
A $15 fee will be charged for the following items
- Fluorescent light fixtures
- Microwave ovens
- Small "dorm" refrigerators weighing less than 50 pounds
- Gas Grills
- Lawn Mowers
- Snow Throwers
- Garden Tillers
A $10 fee will be charged for the following items (These items are not collected curbside but must be brought to our drop off sites.)
- Computer Monitors
- Lap Top Computers
- Desk Top Computers
How is the Fee Paid?Residents must purchase a sticker to attach to appropriate appliances left at the curb or brought to a drop off site.
Note: Televisions, computer monitors and CPUs are no longer collected at the curb. They must be brought to a drop-off site for recycling.
There will be no fee for the following appliances
- Space heaters
- Stereo Equipment (Can be recycled at drop-off sites)
- Garbage disposals
- Toasters and toaster ovens
- Printers (Can be recycled at drop-off sites)
- Radios (Can be recycled at drop-off sites)
- VCRs (Can be recycled at drop-off sites)
Any of the consumer electronic items listed above as well as items which are predominately metal can be brought to the drop-off sites for recycling.
Before you put an item out for collection consider donating reusable items to a charity or give away or sell them at Madison Stuff Exchange.
Alternatives to purchasing an Appliance Fee StickerMany area appliance dealers will haul away old appliances from customers. Several will haul them for a fee. When purchasing a new appliance ask the retailer about their policy on removing old appliances.
There are also several scrap dealers in town who will accept most old appliances, some charge a fee. Call dealers first for prices and conditions of disposal.
Dealers that accept appliances include:
- All Metal Recycling: 1802 S. Park St. (608) 255-0960
- Moor Salvage and Recovery: 801 E. Broadway (608) 223-9220
- Resource Solutions: 5493 Express Cir. (608) 244-5451
- Samuel's Recycling: 4400 Sycamore Ave. (608) 241-1571
Appliance fee stickers are available at the following outlets
- Order online
- By Mail: Street Division, 1501 W. Badger Rd., Madison, WI 53713
- In person: During regular business hours Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm
City Treasurer: 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Street Division: 1501 W. Badger Rd., or 4602 Sycamore Ave.
- All Madison Public Library branches during their regular business hours. The libraries accept cash or check only. No credit cards