SELF HELP DROP OFF SITE
The City of Madison has two Self Help Sites which accept large items, recycling, refuse, rigid plastics, electronics, cooking oil and brush.
Before you put an item out for collection consider donating reusable items to a charity or give away or sell them at Madison Stuff Exchange.
The sites also accept yard waste from April through November.
We are now open extended hours 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. seven days a week and Tuesday and Thursday evenings until 8 p.m. The sites will be closed on Friday July 4th for the Independence Day holiday. The drop off sites will be open from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. on Saturday July 5th and Sunday July 7th.
- East: 4602 Sycamore Avenue
- West: 1501 W. Badger Road
- Yard waste only: 402 South Point Road
- Brush only: 121 E. Olin Avenue
Hours of Operation
- Monday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Tuesday 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Wednesday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Thursday 8:30am - 8:00pm
- Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Saturday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Sunday 8:30am - 4:30pm
Winter Hours starting Monday December 8, 2014
- Monday through Friday 7:30am - 3pm
The City of Madison self-help drop off sites will be closed on the following holidays:
- January 20th, Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- May 26th, Memorial Day
- July 4th, Independence Day
- September 1st, Labor Day
- November 27th & 28th, Thanksgiving Holiday
- December 24th, Christmas Eve the sites close at 11 a.m.
- December 25th, Christmas Day
- December 31st, New Year's Eve the sites close at 11 a.m.
- January 1st, New Year's Day
The sites are not able to handle large loads of brush, refuse, or large items. There is a limit of one pick-up and/or small trailer load of material each day. If you have more material, you are welcome to return on another day, place the material at the curb for collection, or take large items and refuse to the Dane County Landfill. Large volumes of brush can be taken to our Brush Processing Center. See below for details and fees.
Business customers please note that our curbside limit of 4 95-gallon carts or their equivalent per week applies to the drop off sites as well. Residents and business customers with large volumes of material to dispose of may want to consider hauling it to the Dane County Landfill
- Brush (There is a limit of one pick up truck loads or trailer load of brush per day.)
- Building Materials. The regulations for curbside collection of building material also apply to material brought to the drop off site. This includes the limit of six 30 gallon containers or their equivalent in volume.
- Cooking Oil
- CD'S, DVD'S AND JEWEL BOXES, FLOPPY DISCS
- Computers & Electronics
- Vehicle Batteries, cars, truck, motorcycles, etc.
- Scrap Metal for recycling
- Mixed Rigid Plastic
- Large items: Including furniture, carpeting, tires without rims, and small tree stumps.
Note: A fee is charged for disposal of appliances at the Self Help Sites. (See Appliance Collection for details).
Yard waste is accepted from mid March through the first week of December.
- City of Madison residents and property owners ONLY. Bring proof of residency or ownership.
- No contractors. Contractors call East: (608) 246-4532 or West: (608) 266-4681 for information.
- No building material. Go to Building Material Regulations
- No hazardous materials or waste oil.
- No 55 or 30 gallon drums or barrels.
- Propane tanks will be accepted if completely empty and brought to the site with all valves completely open.
- No medical waste.