Street Occupancy - Applying for a Permit
- Obtain a Street Occupancy Permit form. You may pick one up in person from Traffic Engineering or get the form online.
- Applicant should contact Traffic Engineering (266-4761) for the permit requirements.
- Fill out the top portion of the permit and draw a sketch of the location and the obstruction (a separate drawing may be attached if needed). The “Special Requirement for Occupancy” area is for office use; you are not required to fill this out.
- Drop off, mail, or fax the completed form to;
215 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
P.O. Box 2986
Madison, WI 53701-2986
Email scanned applicaitons to Traffic Engineering
Fax #: 608-267-1158
- Traffic Engineering will review the permit application and contact the applicant with any questions and/or notification of permit approval. A traffic control plan may be requested from the applicant if necessary.
- Once the permit is approved, the applicant will need to pick the permit up from Traffic Engineering and pay the permit fee. If meter bags or "No Parking Anytime" signs are needed, the applicant will need to get these from Traffic Engineering's front counter.
- To ensure timely issuance of your permit it is recommended that you make an appointment ahead of time. Call Traffic Engineering number listed below.
- Permit applications must be submitted 48 hours in advance of any street occupancy or street closures (this process may take longer if needed).
- The maximum number of days a permit can be issued for is 90 days.
- A CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE MUST BE APPROVED BY RISK MANAGEMENT BEFORE THEY WILL SIGN OFF ON THE PERMIT.
- Details of a covered walkway must be approved by Building Inspection.
Building Inspection Ph. 608-266-4551
Traffic Engineering Ph. 608-266-4761