Your Madison Municipal Services Bill
Your "water bill" pays for a lot more than just water. It also includes sewer, stormwater, landfill and urban forestry charges, which are levied by other city agencies.
- Madison Water Utility's charges represent about 35 percent of the total average bill.
- The average Madison residential customer uses 3,871 gallons of water a month and pays $19.09 in water and fire protection charges
- Water rates are set by the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin. Current water rates went into effect on 9/29/2015.
- Sewer, stormwater, landfill and urban forestry fees are approved annually by the Madison Common Council.
- Questions about sewer or stormwater rates? Call City of Madison Engineering at (608) 266-4751.
Charges on Your Bill - Current Rates
- Residential Water Rate Tiers (single family homes & duplexes)
- Base charges (5/8" meter): $5.70 meter charge, $2.03 fire protection charge.
- Questions about your water rates? Call Madison Water Utility Billing at (608) 266-4641
Sewer and Landfill:
- Usage charge: $2.74 per 1,000 gallons (increased from $2.67 per 1,000 gallons on 3/21/2017)
- Base charges (5/8" meter): $14.49 base charge, $.40 landfill charge. (base charge increased from $12.88 on 3/21/2017)
Questions about sewer rates? Call City of Madison Engineering at (608) 266-4751.
- Base charge: $1.15 (increased from $1.10 on 3/21/2017)
- Pervious: $0.18, Impervious: $2.38, charges are per 1,000 square feet (increased from $.17 and $2.38 respectively on 3/21/2017)
- Questions about stormwater rates? Call City of Madison Engineering at (608) 266-4751.
Urban Forestry Special Charge (added to bills beginning in August, 2015):
- Madison's Common Council approved a $1.51 increase in Madison Parks' urban forestry charge for residential customers beginning 2/1/2017. The new monthly residential Urban Forestry charge is $4.27. (Click here to view Urban Forestry charges for other customer classes).
- Visit the Madison Parks website for more information, or call the Madison Parks Department at (608) 243-5899 (voicemail only).
We do not disclose your billing and account information to third parties without your express consent. This includes banks and management companies.
As outlined in Act 25, any information that identifies a customer by usage or account status (i.e. past due status) is not a public record and can only be released with the customer’s permission or to the parties specifically identified within section 196.137(2)(a)-(d).
This does still allow information to be provided to the owner of a rental property whose tenant has a delinquent account.
To authorize Madison Water Utility to release account information to a third party (such as a property management company), please complete and sign a consent form: