Residential rates are listed below.
Not a residential customer? View the Rate Summary Sheet for all customer classes.
Water rates are set by the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin. Current water rates went into effect on 9/29/2015.
Sewer, stormwater, landfill and urban forestry fees are approved annually by the Madison Common Council.
Residential Water Rates (single family homes and duplexes):
- Base charges (5/8" meter): $5.70 meter charge, $2.03 fire protection charge.
- Questions about your water charges? Call Madison Water Utility Billing at (608) 266-4641
Sewer and Landfill:
- Usage charge: $3.03 per 1,000 gallons (increased from $2.74 per 1,000 gallons on 5/12/18)
- Base charges (5/8" meter): $14.19 base charge, $.65 landfill charge. (base charge decreased from $14.49 and landfill charge increased from $.40 on 5/12/18)
Questions about sewer charges? Call City of Madison Engineering at (608) 266-4751.
- Base charge: $1.20 (increased from $1.15 on 5/12/18)
- Pervious: $0.18, Impervious: $2.45, charges are per 1,000 square feet (increased from $2.38 on 5/12/18)
- Questions about stormwater charges? Call City of Madison Engineering at (608) 266-4751.
Urban Forestry Special Charge (added to bills beginning in August, 2015):
- Madison's Common Council approved a $1.51 increase in Madison Parks' urban forestry charge for residential customers beginning 2/1/2017. The new monthly residential Urban Forestry charge is $4.27. (Click here to view Urban Forestry charges for other customer classes).
- Visit the Madison Parks website for more information, or call the Madison Parks Department at (608) 243-5899 (voicemail only).
We do not disclose your billing and account information to third parties without your express consent. This includes banks and management companies.
As outlined in Act 25, any information that identifies a customer by usage or account status (i.e. past due status) is not a public record and can only be released with the customer’s permission or to the parties specifically identified within section 196.137(2)(a)-(d).
This does still allow information to be provided to the owner of a rental property whose tenant has a delinquent account.
To authorize Madison Water Utility to release account information to a third party (such as a property management company), please complete and sign a consent form: