Any qualified elector of the State of Wisconsin may apply to the City Clerk to be appointed as a Special Registration Deputy to register voters in the City of Madison. No individual may serve as a Special Registration Deputy unless he or she has completed at least one approved training program within the last two calendar years (starting January of odd years through December of even years).

View a list of Special Registration Deputies (expired December 31, 2016).

Become a Special Registration Deputy

Upon completion of the training session, submit the Special Registration Deputy Certification Form to:
City Clerk's Office
210 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Room 103
Madison, WI 53703

Fax: 608-266-4666

Certification Form must be completed, returned and approved before SRD activity begins.

Requirements and Limitations

No person may compensate a person who obtains voter registration forms from other persons based on a rate that varies relative to the number of registrations obtained. Anyone who violates this provision may be fined up to $1,000 or imprisoned for up to six months, or both.

Special Registration Deputies must print and sign their names on all registration forms. All registration forms accepted by Special Registration Deputies are subject to a postcard audit.

Forms are due within 3 days. Return completed registration forms to the City Clerk’s Office or any Madison Public Library within three days of registering voters. Our goal is to process these forms right away so voters can verify their registration within a week of registering to vote.

Special Registration Deputies cannot register voters when registration is closed, from the third Wednesday (20 days) before the election, through Election Day. When registration is closed, voters may only register in the City Clerk's Office, at the polls on Election Day, or as a hospitalized elector.

Individuals deputized in other Dane County Municipalities are not required to complete the above training; we honor the training provided by neighboring municipalities. If you have been deputized in a neighboring municipality, please contact the Clerk's office.