Meeting & Event Highlights for the Week of April 24, 2023
Common Council: The Common Council meeting will take place on Tuesday, April 25, 2023, in a hybrid format at 6:30 PM. Agenda items include amending the 2023 operating budget and setting the 2023 rates for the sewer utility, stormwater utility, and landfill remediation (citywide); amending portions of Section 9.23 of the Madison General Ordinances relating to the regulation of mobile home parks; repealing and amending sections of the Madison General Ordinances to remove the penalty of possession of certain weapons; and more.
- Earth Day Events in Madison Parks: This weekend, April 22 and 23, celebrate Earth Day with Madison Parks, the Friends of Urban Nature, and volunteers across the city.
- East Side Farmers' Market - Tuesday, April 25, 2023: The Eastside Farmers' Market is Madison, Wisconsin's finest weekday farmers' market. Our vendor members are agricultural producers and food artisans who make value added products from Wisconsin's agricultural bounty. Our goal is to bring the freshest Wisconsin grown food direct to the heart of the East Side.
- Habitat Homebuyer Program Information Meeting - Tuesday, April 25, 2023: Learn how you could own an affordable home through Habitat of Humanity of Dane County. Information on how to apply, program requirements, and where and what we build.
- Dane County Farmers' Market - Wednesday Market: The Wednesday Dane County Farmers' Market is located on the 200 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, between the Madison Municipal Building and the City County Building. While more intimate than the Saturday Market, you will still find many of your favorite Dane County Farmers' Market members, as well as a full array of fruits and vegetables, eggs, cheeses, honey, maple syrup, bakery items, cut flowers, plants, and many specialty items.
- HUD-Approved Homebuyer Education Class (2-Part Class) - April 22nd and 29th: This class is offered virtually and in person as a two-part series. If you need help registering, email email@example.com. Your Path to Homeownership is provided by La Casa de Esperanza, a Non-Profit HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agency dedicated to assisting individuals and families to increase income, build savings and gain assets. Our focus on financial wellness is supported by the Center's programs and services, including home buyer education and counseling, free tax services, employment coaching, financial coaching, and access to financial workshops. Our people-centered approach supports our belief that everyone deserves an opportunity to work on their financial wellness.
- Prescribed Burn Crew Member Volunteer Training - Saturday, April 29, 2023: Join Conservation Resource Supervisor and DNR-certified Burn Boss Paul Quinlan for a Burn Crew Member Volunteer Training. Meet Paul and team at Elver Park, behind the main shelter, to learn basic fire management as an ecological tool in prairie or mixed hardwood forest and safety during prescribed burns. You'll also learn the laws and rules Law and rules, proper burning conditions, and basic fire methods.
- Inspired by Wright: A Hands-on FLW Tour - Saturday, April 29, 2023: Join us for this hands-on Frank Lloyd Wright Tour demonstrating how Wright saw geometric shapes as underlying forms of nature and applied them to almost all his work. As you tour the Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center, you'll learn how this unique site influenced Wright's choice of geometry, which is expressed in nearly every aspect of the building and grounds.
- Barks in Parks: Sculpture Unveiling - Sunday, April 30, 2023: Join the Madison Parks Foundation at Quann Dog Park on April 30 as they unveil the new custom pet tribute and memorial sculpture. This art sculpture memorial will offer the public a way to commemorate their pets while supporting Madison dog parks.
- Financial Literacy Workshop - Tuesday, May 2, 2023: The Urban League of Greater Madison, in partnership with the City of Madison, will host the Financial Literacy Workshop on Tuesday, May 2nd, from 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM at the Urban League 2222 S. Park St. The Workshop will be an interactive event that explores essential financial topics, including saving, budgeting, understanding credit, and building financial goals.
Save the Date!
- West Area Open House - Wednesday, May 10, 2023: The West Area Plan team will host an Open House on May 10 from 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM at Lussier Community Education Center, 55 S. Gammon Road. City agencies will give short presentations on projects spanning land use planning, transportation, stormwater management, water quality protection, parks and open space, and more. Residents will also have the chance to talk with staff to learn more, including how these projects may affect them and how they can be involved.
- Fire OPS 101, Wednesday - May 24, 2023: Join us for Fire OPS 101 and experience a day in the life of a firefighter! Fire OPS is a program that allows community leaders and elected officials to experience a day in the life of a firefighter. You will dress in turnout gear and participate in realistic scenarios that we face on a day-to-day basis. The scenarios will include fire attack, search and rescue, vehicle extrication, and emergency medical services.
- Madison Metro Providing Free Summer Bus Passes for MMSD Middle and High School Students: For the third year in a row, the City of Madison is giving every Madison Metropolitan School Districts Middle and High School student a free Metro bus pass for the summer. This summer, Metro has made 7,000 passes available.
- Sound the Alarm. Save a Life! The American Red Cross is making homes fire resistant through the Red Cross Home Fire Preparedness Campaign. At no cost, you can have the Red Cross visit your home and demonstrate some simple changes that will help protect your family against fires, including:
- Free smoke alarm installation if no working smoke alarms are present in your home
- Guidance in developing a Family Disaster Plan
- Valuable emergency preparedness tips and information
Streets Division Updates
- Yard waste collection is ongoing! Remember – you only get two pickups chances in the spring. One pickup in April and one in May. Don't miss the dates when you should set out yard waste. Get the dates at www.cityofmadison.com/YardWaste. You can also watch our video about how to set out the material correctly.
- Brush collection is also going on now. Get the dates when you can set out your brush at www.cityofmadison.com/BrushCollection.
- If you are working on your garden and would like some mulch, don't forget that the city has mulch available at 121 E. Olin Avenue. Details about the wood mulch can be found at www.cityofmadison.com/Mulch.